Re: Redisplay crash

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Redisplay crash
Date: 10 Apr 2004 20:36:57 +0200

>     I've had such problems in the past.
>     There was a discussion about it with Gerd which led to
>
>     2002-08-27  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>
>
> Perhaps we need to record history information about occurrences
> within redisplay, so that after it crashes we can investigate
> what happened without needing to find a reproducible test case.

I don't think it will be worth the efforts.

There is just so much going on during redisplay, that it is almost
impossible to know what and how much information to put into the
history.  I have used various methods of collecting history during
redisplay to track down display errors, even when doing a targeted
information collection, it is very difficult to actually use that
history to find bugs.

It is always better to have a specific test case and debug the code to
find the cause of the error.