Re: info.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: info.el
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:06:18 +0300

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> Putting point on `Variables' gives the error message:
>
> Info-follow-reference: No cross-reference named Constant
> Variables
>
> In other words, the newline gets wrongly considered to be a part of
> the node name.  I do not believe that this problem can be more than a
> few days old.  (I believe that I would have noticed it before
> otherwise.)
>
> With point in the "See Constant" part things work fine.

I didn't test this rare case yet, thanks for finding it out.  The
problem was that the function `Info-following-node-name-re' by default
don't allow newlines in Info node names.  I've just installed a fix.

BTW, while testing it, I have noticed another problem: putting point
on the final period after moving the cursor from left to right and
typing RET follows the reference, but putting point on the final
period after moving the cursor from right to left and typing RET gives
the error.  This is due to the text properties at this point:
'(invisible t front-sticky nil rear-nonsticky t).

I think this behavior is a bit confusing when cursor type is box,
because it _looks_ like the cursor is _over_ the final period.
And when moving the cursor to the same position from different
directions gives the different results, it seems wrong.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/