Re: Highlight opening parentheses in show-paren-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Highlight opening parentheses in show-paren-mode
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:35:07 +0300

>       When at the beginning of a valid parenthetical expression,
>     SHOW-PAREN-FUNCTION in "paren.el" does not highlight the opening
>     parenthesis.
>
> The cursor normally highlights the open paren in that case.
> It would look bad to put other highlighting on it.
> However, it seems you use the bar cursor.  With the bar cursor,
> this change would make sense.
>
> Maybe we should test the cursor type there.

I don't think it looks bad even with the box cursor.  Some arguments:

1. The open paren is already highlighted if mismatched.
Nobody complained that it's bad.

2. It looks more correct if both parens are highlighted in the same
color (even if the color of the open paren under the cursor is reversed).

3. Currently, when the cursor is moved from the closeparen to the
openparen (e.g. by backward-sexp), then for a short time before the
overlay gets deleted, the cursor is highlighted in show-paren color,
and then after a small delay the color is switched to the cursor color.
Such blinking looks bad.  It would be better if the open paren was
always highlighted in show-paren color.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/