Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:45:22 -0400

    Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:12:27 +0900 (JST)
    To: address@hidden
    From: Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden>
    Cc: address@hidden
    Sender: address@hidden

    > > I installed the patch with following new faces:
    > >
    > > (defface completion-emphasis
    > [...]
    > > (defface completion-de-emphasis
    >
    > How about a NEWS entry for this feature?

    Thank you. I've added the following item.

        ** Visual feedback of *Completions* buffer is enhanced.
        Faces are put on the common prefix substrings and the first uncommon
        charachters of each completion candidate in the *Completions* buffer.
        `completion-de-emphasis' is put on the common prefix substrings as the
        face; and `completion-emphasis' is put on the first uncommon
        charachters. By default `completion-de-emphasis' is inherited from
        `default' face. `completion-emphasis' is inherited from `bold' face.

That is clear, thanks.  This rewrite says the same thing but is easier
to read:

        ** Enhanced visual feedback in *Completions* buffer.

        Completions lists use faces to highlight what all completions
        have in common and where they begin to differ.

        The common prefix shared by all possible completions uses
        the face `completion-de-emphasis', while the first character
        that isn't the same uses the face `completion-emphasis'.
        By default, `completion-de-emphasis' inherits from `default',
        and `completion-emphasis' inherits from `bold'.  The idea
        of `completion-de-emphasis' is that you can use it to make
        the common parts less visible than normal, so that the rest
        of the differing parts is, by contrast, slightly highlighted.

However, looking at these names, it seems to me that maybe they should
be changed to `completions-common-part' and
`completions-first-difference'.  That says where they are used, which
is more useful; whether to use them for emphasis or counteremphasis is
then up to the user.  Do you agree?