Emacs Explorer?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:06:16 -0700

<caveat>blankslate.bluesky.don'tfreak.justwhatif.ifdupdelete</caveat>

Here's a set of assertions, some of which might solicit worthwhile
discussion in the context of Emacs development. (Or not.)

1. Windows Explorer is the (min (best | only good)) part of Windows.
2. Dired does some similar things to what Windows Explorer does.
3. Dired does more than Windows Explorer.
4. Windows Explorer does more than Dired.
5. We should add some of the handy-dandy Windows-Explorer features to Dired.
6. A folder forest a la tree-widget (but with drag & drop?) would be a great
start.
7. Not only a folder forest, but also things like different display options
(a la WE View>Details etc. and View>Choose Details). Some of the default
dired-listing-switches stuff, like user & group, is not the most useful
stuff to see most of the time (yes, I know I can change
dired-listing-switches, TYVM).
8. We should add column headings to Dired.
9. Users should be able to click Dired column headings to sort by them.

I'm not acquainted with the current work on Dired, so forgive me if this is
redundant or has already been beat to death.

I just really appreciate both Dired and Windows Explorer - each for what it
does best, and I would love to see some of the Windows-Explorer features
added to Dired.

  - Drew

FYI - I've added a couple of the really *minor* Windows-Explorer features to
my own dired:

 . To select multiple files, you can click MB1 then Shift-click MB1, or just
MB1-drag a region.
 . Context-dependent MB3 popup menu (operates on all files in the region or
the single pointed file).
 . Windows file associations (for MB2 click).