Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:05:44 +0200

Hi Matthew!

> Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am currently working on xtla.el (the arch interface for emacs).
>>
>> In my mode the user is often asked some questions in the
>> minibuffer. Sometimes the questions need some more
>> explanations. So I decided to put the needed help in the
>> function's docstring.
>
> Here's a function called `question' which may be of use.
>
> It allows the responses to an interactive question to be defined,
> including a help response and associated help string.  The patch
> includes a change to `shell-command' to use `question', in the way
> suggested for the `compile' command by Dan Jacobson (in the attached
> mail).  This allows `shell-command' to start concurrent asynchronous
> shell commands.
>
> The function `may-y-or-n-p' may also be useful.
>
> Note that `question' will need dialog popup additions to be better
> analogous to yes-or-no-p.

I think, that your function is useful, however as far as I can see,
it allows only a fixed given number of answers.

I think that your question function should also be added to emacs.

My proposal allows to get help at every minibuffer prompt without the
need to explicitly add the help string.

--
  Stefan.