Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:07:29 -0400

    > You didn't say which function you mean, but according to the code
    > it looks like the entire doc string of the command that invoked
    > the minibuffer is the help string you use.  I don't think
    > that will be very natural.

    I think it is convenient. Every interactive function has already a
    docstring.

The doc string for the function is not designed to explain how to
enter a specific argument.  It is the wrong text for this job.

    When I type M-x grep and get a prompt and I am not sure, what I am
    asked here, I can just get the help for the function grep.

That might be useful, but it isn't the same idea.  The idea was to
tell the user about the argument being entered, wasn't it?