Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:08:46 -0400

    Not sure if you just wanted clarification or were being sarcastic.

I was serious.  I did not understand what feature you meant.
Your explanation is clear and now I understand.

    Just in case it was the former: All I meant was that we could provide
    headings to the various (ls, for now) columns in Dired, for 1) clarification
    and 2) manipulation (sorting). If this is already the case for Emacs 21,
    then ignore. For example:

    Privileges Links User    Group   Size  Date Modified Name
    -rw-r--r--    1  dradams svrtech 13525 Apr  6 08:45  shrink-fit.el

I guess this could be done with a header line.

    More importantly, users should be able to click a column heading to sort by
    that column (alternately ascending/descending) - just as in Windows
    Explorer.

That doesn't sound too hard.