Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: 16 Apr 2004 14:39:12 -0400

>     3 - Change switch-to-buffer to call pop-to-buffer rather than signal an
>       error and leave everything else unchanged.

> I don't like the idea of making switch-to-buffer do different things
> in interactive and noninteractive calls.  And I don't like the idea
> of making it switch windows.

> In the case of a single dedicated window, splitting the window
> and using one of the new windows does make sense in a way.
> However, switching to another existing window just seems wrong.

I never said it should switch to an existing window.
Maybe you inferred it because I used `pop-to-buffer', but I didn't mean to
be so specific.  What I need to change (in order to fix umpteen bugs that
only show up in setups such as mine) is that switch-to-buffer doesn't
signal an error but does something else instead.

What this something else is, I don't care nearly as much.
The (let ((pop-to-window t)) (pop-to-buffer buf)) suggestion seen earlier
sounds good to me, but I'd pretty much accept "anything" in order to fix
the problem of switch-to-buffer signalling an error in dedicated (and
minibuffer) windows.

        Stefan