Display-local variables (Re: It is time for a feature freeze)

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: Display-local variables (Re: It is time for a feature freeze)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:49:31 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>     I like to have a menu-bar on a window system, but don't like it on
>>     a terminal.  Maybe a display-local variable could do that.
>>
>> It would be just as easy to do this job with frame-local variables
>> (i.e. frame parameters), and they already exist.
>
> I don't see how.  After all, we are not talking about the
> _possibility_ of having a menu-bar or not (that's trivial), but about
> the default for creation of new frames.  And as far as I can tell,
> you can't set different defaults for different displays.

I think Richard is right; it seems to be easy to create an interface
for setting different default frame parameters for different displays.
For example, a variable like this would be trivial to implement:

,----
| ;; Enable the menu bar and the toolbar under X, but disable them on tty
frames.
| (setq window-system-default-frame-alist
|       '((x   (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 1))
|         (nil (menu-bar-lines . 0) (tool-bar-lines . 0))))
`----

In fact, I found that idea so useful that I have just implemented it :-)
(see patch-150). Apart from the new variable definition, it was a
one-line patch.  What do you think?

I am now convinced that display-local variables are not really
necessary.  What about making displays first-level Lisp objects?  Are
there any objections against that?

--
Károly