Re: lisp/url/url-https.el

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: lisp/url/url-https.el
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:49:14 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That's the masochistic part.
>>> Using any other name than the real filename is being masochistic.
>>> It means you have to implement file-attributes, file-exists-p, ....
>
>> Write a single function that parses the filename.  Then it looks up
>> the operation in an alist.  If there is a special handler, then call
>> it, else invoke the "normal" handler on the real filename.
>
> Sure, so you need to list all the possible file operations, joy!

No, only the ones that aren't forwarded.  And since you have to write
a function for the handled (not forwareded) ones anyway, listing them
once again in an alist is not too much trouble, methinks.

>> Sounds reasonable to me.  The only problem is to know which of the
>> args is the filename we're talking about, but Tramp has a function for
>> this.
>
> Right: using normal filenames (like jka-compr does) saves you from all
> this trouble.  Is that masochism or not?

I don't want to say that /gpg:foo is the best convention there is, but
one advantage of having the explicit "GPG" indicator is that the
filename is arbitrary.

Or is it true for all encryption mechanisms that the filename
indicates which one was used?  In that case, of course, my point is
moot.

Kai