Re: removing .elc files for `make bootstrap'

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: removing .elc files for `make bootstrap'
Date: 20 Apr 2004 06:29:54 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> > Any objection to me changing `make bootstrap' to remove all .elc files
> > at the beginning?
>
> I need/want a bootstrap target that is "restartable".

I'd love that too!

> So we should distinguish between `maintainer-clean' which prepares for
> a clean boostrap and `bootstrap' which just builds the files assuming that
> the dependencies are correct (or that the files were removed by
> maintainer-clean if the dependencies were not).

Why not keep the current semantics for `bootstrap', and add `bootstrap-cont'
or something to continue with a previous bootstrap?

I'm not sure how important it is to maintain compatibility, but it seems
like `make bootstrap' has become something of an idiom -- many people
think of it as what you do when you want to double-check an emacs tree
for buildability.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]