Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 21 Apr 2004 01:31:34 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > PNG images support transparency.  Emacs can't make use of it.  You can
> > only have Emacs declare a particular color as transparent.  This is
> > dissatisfactory.  It should tell the PNG decoding routines Emacs'
> > background color for the purpose of transparency.
> >
> > I would find it important if an image specifier could restrict the
> > displayed portion of an image.
>
> I have just implemented image slicing via a new slice property:
>
>         display ((slice X Y WIDTH HEIGHT) (image ...))

Does that imply that slicing is not only applicable to images?
Anyway, I have been wondering about how to make slicing an image
property while being able to reuse the image for several slices.
Making this a separate property of course solves that concern.

The effect would presumably be that only the selected slice of the
image gets displayed, right?  And if the current line height exceeds
that of slices in consecutive rows, then there would be white space
between them, right?  Does anybody know offhand whether one can
_reduce_ the linespacing to "tight" for a given interval?

It probably will not be "crucial" though.