Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: 21 Apr 2004 12:21:40 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't used gdb-ui.el, so can't comment on that; but as I said with
> the calendar there can be, for example, problems with running help
> functions in such frames (eg C-h k) - Emacs can have problems
> displaying the help buffer.

That is indeed a severe consequence IMO.

I still don't really understand why this is such a big issue.

Hey, if I, as an interactive user, uses C-x b to request emacs to
switch to another buffer, and the current window happens to be
dedicated, I still _want_ to switch to that other buffer...  it's just
that currently emacs is very UNHELPFUL in this situation.

In the current situation, I have to manually create and select some
other window before I can do C-x b.  And as has been demonstrated, it
can be very difficult to be able to do just that -- even for an expert
user!

I would rather prefer that emacs did something sensible in this
situation, i.e. showed the buffer in some other window or frame, and
let me get on with my work!   If it (rarely) makes a bad selection
of which other window to use, at least I can correct that "error"
easily with another C-x b - this time in a non-dedicated window...

So IMHO, we should just get rid of that signal in switch-to-buffer,
and get on to other business!!!