isearch (was: Re: Should we move 20.x related stuff out of NEWS ?)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: isearch (was: Re: Should we move 20.x related stuff out of NEWS ?)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 05:54:31 +0300

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> There's nothing like Isearch for several buffers.  It'd be nice to be
> able to C-s across several buffers, <del> back again, extend the search
> string by typing in more characters, edit it with M-e, in some fashion.
> I'll admit, I haven't looked very hard for it, but it's not in Emacs
> itself.

I sometimes wished this feature too.  For example, isearch implemented
in the standalone Info reader can jump to the next Info node, but
Emacs can't.  Something similar could be implemented in Emacs as well:
for Emacs Info reader to jump between Info nodes, and for non-Info
buffers to jump between buffers.  However, there is one question:
how to define the order in which isearch will visit buffers.
Perhaps, most useful is by recency, but the user should be able
to define the desired order somehow.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/