Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:20:24 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:52:39PM +0200, Jan D. wrote:
Exactly what is inconsistent? That mouse down does not clear the selected part or that it doesn't set mark, or something else? Note that it is only
when clicking on some selected text and dragging that the behaviour
differs. If clicking outside selected text, or not dragging, we can keep
the old behaviour.

To tell the truth, I hate the D&D-by-dragging-selected-text behavior of other apps (in particular, mozilla), because it's damn touchy -- often I'll try to click to make the selected region collapse, but accidentally drag a _little
bit_, which ends up invoking the D&D behavior...

I get bitten by this sometimes also. It is important that the amount of drag
is customizable.  Usually it is not.

The same thing happens with other interfaces where dragging vs. clicking
makes a significant difference (e.g., trying to edit the filename of a
selected icon in windows -- _infuriating_!), it just seems like poor design.

This is probably the reason why Motif/CDE uses mouse-2 to drag.  No risk
of starting a drag when an ordinary click with mouse-1 was intended.

        Jan D.