Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:04:14 +0200

2004-04-22 kl. 19.43 skrev Drew Adams:

I thought we were talking here about dragging text within Emacs (only). A previous discussion covered dragging text between applications and dragging
files (in general). Perhaps I'm wrong.

emacs -q: MB1, MB3, MB3 again at *same place* kills region (Emacs 20).

By MB1332, I meant move text using the mouse: click MB1 here, click MB3
there (same buffer - defines region), click MB3 again at same location
(kills region), click MB2 there (anywhere - pastes region). 4 clicks. Forget I mentioned MB1drag32: my bad - you need to do MB1drag332, which is extra
work.

But you have to move the mouse after MB1drag33.  So it is really
MB1 drag MB3 MB3 move mouse MB2.

Compare this to DND: MB1 drag MB3 (defines region). MB1 down, move mouse
and release.
To copy instead of move, hold down Shift (or some other key, Alt on Mac OSX), when releasing MB1. So your example has four mouse clicks, DND has three.
Granted you have to keep the MB1 pressed while moving.  I don't see much
difference here. But three or four mouse clicks are not important, it is
just giving users the possibility to choose whatever they prefer and are
comfortable with.

        Jan D.