Re: Grep and font-lock

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Grep and font-lock
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:21:46 -0400

    That's actually what I suggested: font-lock does not only set faces.
    compile.el uses it to set faces (which have no other purpose than aesthetic)
    and to set crucial meta info.  So you can't just plain turn off font-lock
    because it would break grep, but we could add some option to font-lock
    so you can have it ON without any of the visual effects.

When a mode uses the font-lock mechanism to put on other properties,
turning font-lock mode on and off should have no effect on that.
Turning font-lock mode on and off should only affect the faces.

If this is not how it works now, let's change it.