Re: Strange dynamic variable buf in ielm-send-input

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange dynamic variable buf in ielm-send-input
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:27:33 -0400

    If the latter is the purpose, then I believe that that purpose should
    be documented in the docstring and also that the variable should be
    renamed to ielm-buffer or something similar, because buf can just too
    easily be overridden.

The documentation of IELM mentions some variables meant for user
expressions, but does not mention `buf' that way.  So I don't think
this is a feature meant for users.  I would suggest deleting it.  You
could check whether old versions of IELM used `buf' in some other way.