Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 27 Apr 2004 00:50:15 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I have just installed changes to revert to the 21.3 functionality for
> newline height calculation, that is, use the current face font height
> (by default).

Is that really the 21.3 default?  I am asking because I was of the
impression that the line arrangement usually was fixed to the
ascent/descent values of the default face, rather than the current
face: namely that merely switching to a smaller font would not
decrease the distance of lines unless you changed the frame's
_default_ face.

Or do we have different values for "height of newline" and "total
height of line"?  If so, how are they related?

> Then I added a new line-height property on the newline with the
> following values:
>          nil -> use height of current face (the default)
>          t -> use default face height (as minimum height)
>          0   -> use (don't increase) actual line height
>          N (integer > 0)  -> use N pixels (as minimum height)
>          F (float > 0.0)  -> use F * current face font height

Is 0 a special case of N (use 0 pixels as minimum height)?  If so,
would it be the same as 0.0, too?

>From your pointing out the different cases, it would appear that they
differ.  I am trying to get a feel of things.

> The line-spacing property now just specifies additional line-spacing
> like the line-spacing variable and frame parameter.

All in all, this behavior sounds much more consistent and free from
unexpected sideeffects than the previous implementation.