Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:43:05 -0700

My point being, making CUA default on Mac is not going to give
Mac users what they expect.

I'm with you 100%. The only sensible CUA-mode on the Mac wouldn't work; mostly because the default action-modifier is Command and not control. So emacs -nw would never DTRT. Making CUA the default would be counter-productive to me unless it was mapped to Command-Z,X,C, and V (in a sense, regardless of the modifier to which Command is mapped). Since Command can be mapped to Control, Meta, or Alt; the "Mac bindings" should be able to map to either M- or to A-.

When I started working with Mac OS X, my initial goal was to make GNU Emacs basically operate in the same way that it did on UNIX and NT; not to quasi-macify parts of it. So I set about fiddling with key mappings so that what my brain thought was C-a was the same on all platforms. Consistency of a standard application across platforms is more valuable to me than consistency of *all* applications within a platform; but I don't think everyone would agree. Hence, all the Mac modifier options.

-Steven