Re: isearch-yank-char

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-char
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:02:14 +0300

>> +    (define-key map "\C-f" 'isearch-yank-char)
>
> I think many bindings are available for isearch because in practice very
> few normal bindings are used to exit isearch.  But I do think C-f is one of
> those bindings that people use to exist isearch.

C-f and C-b are ideal key bindings for this functionality because
they cause changes only in the visual appearance: for users typing
C-f with the intention to move the point, isearch may look "sticky",
but there is no harm: the point still moves to the intended position
and users can continue editing by typing other keys to exit isearch!

BTW, I can't find a function name for deleting a character better than
`isearch-del-char', because the suitable name `isearch-delete-char' is
already used by another function which doesn't do what its function name
says (it discards last input item, not character).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/