Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 29 Apr 2004 02:29:50 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The line distance is determined differently: it is constant for a
> frame unless that would cause overlapping rows with the actual glyph
> dimensions, or unless we change it with special properties on the
> newline characters.  Those special properties can also be put on space
> and other characters but have no effect there.
>
> At least that's how I understood the last proposals.  It means that if
> one wants to have a paragraph with smaller line distance, one can
> explicitly cover it with an appropriate property.

With my latest changes, emacs has two properties on newlines:

* line-height which gives the minimum line height;
  default minimum line height is given by the height of the face
  of the newline character.

  The actual line height is determined by the text on the line;
  if some glyphs are taller than the minimum line height, the
  actual line height is increased.

* line-spacing which adds additional pixels between this line and the
  next line.  Default is the value of the line-spacing variable
  (usually 0).

So there is still no "fixed line-distance" concept in emacs, as lines can
always be taller than the ordinary line-distance.

BTW, the line-height and line-spacing properties are currently only
supported as text-properties; should this be extended to check for
overlays too?