Re: Insert character pairs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Insert character pairs
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:02:53 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> The following patch generalizes the function `insert-parentheses'
>
> Why not start from skeleton-insert-paren-maybe ?

It doesn't work with key modifiers.

However, this could be partly fixed by replacing `last-command-char'
with `(event-basic-type last-command-event)'.

But still usage of function arguments of `skeleton-pair-insert-maybe'
and `insert-parentheses' is very different:

`skeleton-pair-insert-maybe' uses its argument to insert the typed
character ARG times (which still doesn't work with modifiers),
while `insert-parentheses' encloses ARG sexps in parentheses.

I think the latter is better.  But perhaps `skeleton-pair-insert-maybe'
could be improved to interpret its argument like `insert-parentheses'?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/