Re: addpm.c: DdeConnect() without timeout

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: addpm.c: DdeConnect() without timeout
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:05:27 +0530

On Mon, 03 May 2004 06:45:15 +0000, "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden> said:
> "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <address@hidden> writes:

> > face the same problem of addpm.exe getting
> >  stuck duing "nmake (gmake) install".
> > I found that it is getting stuck in DdeConnect(). I am not aware of DDE
> > mechanism but feel we should have a time out. Since "addpm.exe" is trivia
> > and does not affect the working of GNU Emacs, the install should progress
> > even if "addpm.exe" fails.

> If you can find where in the addpm code it is failing, we can catch
> whatever problem it is and do something appropriate.
> Could it be due to access rights to the Start Menu or registry?

I think it was due to some registry corruption, I am not sure of what
though. I ran a registry cleaning utility. I am now able to run
"addpm.exe" and it works as it used to earlier. So, there is no problem.
However, this is the second time I am facing this problem and I feel we
should have a time out mechanism if supported by DdeConnect(). There is 1
call to DdeConnect() in addpm.c at line:184. It gets stuck there when I
faced the problem. Calls to DdeInitialize() returns a successfull code.
It might be a good idea to check that too to make it a little more
  return(1); // Some non zero error value

Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935