Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 04 May 2004 10:17:49 +0200

> On 04 May 2004 09:14:26 +0200
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > So if we skip this bugfix release, let us also skip the number.
>
> I fully agree...
>
> > reserving 21.4 for a
> > possible bug fix release in case something horrible turns up that
> > needs immediate fixing during that time might not do harm.
>
> ...but this doesn't seem very sensible. Getting out a 21.5 and
> *afterwards* a bug-fix 21.4 would be confusing, to say the least.

No, no.  The 21.4 was supposed to be reserved as a bug fix release to
21.3.  Once 21.5 is out, 21.4 should not appear: then people have to
jump the gun and help us get the bug out from 21.5 instead.

I just wanted to take 21.4 as a reserve when we know that 21.5 can't
be out soon, but we would very much need a particular bug fix to 21.3
to be out before that.

> But in fact I think that if something horrible happens after 21.5,
> the thing to do would be to fix it as quickly as posible, and
> meanwhile recommend users to stand with the stable 21.3.

Right.  I was talking about reserving 21.4 for _before_ 21.5 is
released.  Once we consider the trunk stable enough for an 21.5
release to be imminent, expending work on an in-between bug fix
release would be inappropriate.