Re: Insert character pairs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Insert character pairs
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 12:30:35 -0600

Juri Linkov wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
> >Juri Linkov wrote:
> > > The command `promote-list' is basically opposite to `insert-parentheses',
> > > so another possible name is `remove-parentheses', but it is misleading,
> > > because it removes more than only enclosing parentheses.
> >
> > I don't find "delete" or "remove" misleading at all.
>
> "delete" or "remove" would not be misleading if they correctly
> indicated what is removed, but the name may become too long,
> e.g. "remove-parentheses-and-non-selected-text".

Right.  But remove- would be bad because no other commands use that
prefix.  I think delete- is better.

How about delete-surrounding-sexps, delete-sibling-sexps, or
just-one-sexp (in analogy to just-one-space)?

> Perhaps `rise-up-sexp' is a better name.

I think "raise [up]" is the correct English verb (because it is
transitive, whereas "rise [up]" is intransitive).  But the Emacs command
should be named after its surface effect anyway, not its deep
(structural) effect.  Or are you proposing that insert-parentheses
should be named demote-sexp?  :-)

--
Kevin Rodgers