Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:01:55 +0300

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> Flashing the matching lines is very distracting.
>
> After all, you hit a command C-x ` and get feedback on where
> that error/match is -- I don't see how that is distracting.

It is less noticeably when going through compilation results,
because it flashes not too often.  But during quick browsing
of the grep results, its constant blinking is unbearable.

>>                                                   And even though
>> there is a variable `compilation-highlight-regexp' to disable the
>> highlighting, when it is disabled, there is no indication at all.
>
> That's how it used to be -- the highlight is an improvement IMO.

I agree, highlight is an improvement, but not in its current
implementation.

>> So I think a better indication method is needed.  For example,
>> the same methods of the compilation buffer could be used: aligning
>> the source file window on specified context lines (though this is
>> not good for source buffers), or setting the fringe arrow.
>
> I don't think these options are any better --

YOU don't like the fringe arrow?! ;-)

>> Another good indication method is persistent (i.e. non-flashing!)
>> overlays highlighted with a special face on matching lines in
>> compilation output buffer and source code buffer.
>
> IMO it would be a lot more distracting if the highlight persisted
> (when should it go away?).

For example, after the key press.

--
Juri Linkov