Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:59:39 -0700 (PDT)

Wed, 05 May 2004 16:20:23 -0400: Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     Your question is understandable in case of `next-error' where cursor
>     lands directly on the subject line.  The suggested user control is
>     useful in case of `next-error-no-select' which is used in Grep mode.
>
> Could you explain why and how you use next-error-no-select in Grep
> mode?  I would have thought that is something useful only for programs
> to call.  I don't see a use for next-error-no-select has, except as a
> subroutine to build other things on.

It is not my choice.  I use the functions by typing 'n' and 'p' in the
*grep* buffer, defined in grep-mode-map.  As long as the highlight
does not disappear too quickly I feel comfortable with this user
interface.

> So I tend to think that the caller of next-error-no-select should
> arrange to show the user the line in question.  next-error-no-select
> should not do so itself.

I don't disagree with you how it should be fixed.  I'm just suggesting
that current momentary line flashing can be annoying to some people
including myself.

-Tak