Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 08 May 2004 13:35:33 +0200

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> >     Should the icons for the toolbar be updated for this release?
> >     When running on Gnome, it would be an advantage if Emacs used
> >     the same icons as other Gnome/GTK applications.  I think Emacs
> >     now use GTK 1.2 icons.  We could just convert the GTK 2.x
> >     icons to xpm.
> >
> > I think that someone drew us new icons for Emacs, but I don't
> > remember if they ever got installed, nor where to find them now.
>
> I've put up some pictures at http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jhdns/ so
> you can view them easily.  There where two suggestions, Daniel
> Pfeiffer made changes to the speedbar icons, and someone whos name
> escapes me (jefbed) made Gnome icons in xpm formats.  None of these
> are installed in CVS.
>
> The speedbar icons where marginally preferred by me and Miles Bader,
> I don't think there where any other comments.  The Gnome icons where
> not commented much either.

The speedbar icon changes are marginal, mainly being less glaring
(which is not the worst idea, considering that they are merely
indicators beside the main text).

With the other icons, the changes are more significant: one thing
that is apparent is that they are done with much more focus on
getting them to rasterize well.  With the exception of the scissor, I
consider them a definite improvement.

I am not sure the "help" icon is an improvement.  The "?" icon is
just that, iconic, whereas the life-saver ring looks like a pretty
toy at first sight.

But in general, I don't think it worth the trouble to do an Emacs-only
policy for single icons: such details should rather be discussed
upstream; they are not Emacs-specific.

> I slightly prefer the new icons, but it is not that much of a
> difference.  I do think we should change though.

Agreed.