Re: help-go-back

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: help-go-back
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 03:08:09 +0300

Karl Chen <address@hidden> writes:
>     >> It would also be nice if there were a `help-go-forward'
>     >> (opposite of `help-go-back').  I can write this if there is
>     >> interest.
>     Juri> It is not possible to implement it with the current
>     Juri> `help-xref-stack' variable.  A new variable could be
>     Juri> added that will record the full Help history.  And it
>     Juri> might be as useful as full history of Info nodes where
>     Juri> an additional variable with full history was added
>     Juri> recently.
>
> I was thinking a list of nodes to go forward to (reverse of the
> 'back' stack).  I'm not sure what you mean re. Info nodes, do you
> want to combine the two histories?

No, I meant not to combine, but to implement the full Help history list
similar to full Info history list recently implemented, i.e. a list
of all visited Help elements which is displayed in the Help buffer by
a special command, and where older help elements could be revisited by
selecting an element from the full history list.

However, AFAIU, you propose a stack of forward elements, which is
filled by `help-xref-go-back', used by a new `help-xref-go-forward'
command and cleared after the first visit of some other cross-reference.
This may be useful as well, although generally this is a subset of
the full history list.

BTW, since you misunderstood me in such a way that I proposed to
combine the Info and Help histories, it seems it was not accidentally,
because more close integration of Help with Info seems very natural.
Many improvements could be done here.  At least, the Help buffer could
provide automatic buttons with links to Info manuals and call
something like `info-lookup-symbol' or `Info-goto-emacs-command-node'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/