Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 09 May 2004 20:00:07 -0400

>> But highlighting all args doesn't seem of much use to me.

> Oh, I don't find it very useful to describe `nth'; but
> `define-minor-mode' or `define-key', definitely yes.

I just find it odd to highlight arguments more than, say, the function's
name (i.e. basically the title of the help buffer).

Maybe italics will make it less strange, but the current bold I see is just
very surprising because it highlights (in the literal sense) parts of the
docstring as if they were THE-THING-I-VE-BEEN-LOOKING-FOR, even when it
has strictly no indication that it's what I'm interested in.

>> I think the additional highlight would make more sense in a situation where
>> the *Help* buffer uses a larger font for the function/variable name at the
>> top (i.e. like a title), then some other font (probably courrier) for the
>> usage, then yet some other (something proportional) for the body, ...

> That's doable, but I think many people would find it way too
> much highlighting.

I didn't say fruit salad.  I meant a sober presentation like you'd find in
a book (e.g. generated from Texinfo).

> I'm not going to push for any specific default color/highlighting on
> this issue;

No colors, please.

        Stefan