Re: RMAIL in the next release

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: RMAIL in the next release
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:13:00 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:
IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
in that branch.

Oops, completely forgot about that one.  We had already decided to merge it
into the trunk (the reason at the time was to get it better tested), but
it looks like noone did it.

Is the maintainer of that branch somewhere?  I think it'd be fair to merge
it in, but only if it's currently considered "fine" by the few people who
tested it and if the maintainer is around so he can deal with the
bug reports.

If you're talking about merging the branch in to test it for some prolonged period, then go for it. I will respond to bug reports, although it has been many, many months since I last worked on this piece of code. If you have in mind to ship it anytime soon then that is a bad idea. It has not been sufficiently tested to release yet. In that case do the merge right after the release so the code can have a suitable test period by the Emacs developers.

-pmr