Re: RMAIL in the next release

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL in the next release
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:55:11 -0400

    IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
    not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
    it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
    in that branch.

    How about merging that branch with CVS HEAD now, so that it could be
    part of the next release?

This was waiting for me to modify unrmail so that it did not depend
on Rmail.

I have now done that rewrite and installed it.  The new unrmail for me
with a small amount of testing, but it definitely needs more.  In particular
I am not sure it really works right for various coding systems and not
sure it handles the attributes and keywords correctly.

Could people try it, and report to me that they have tried it?
This needs to be tested pretty thoroughly before we switch
to the new Rmail.