Re: erase-buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: erase-buffer
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:44:14 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> So my question is: why is erase-buffer a command?
> I didn't know it was a command until 5 days ago, it is not bound to any
> key, and I can't think of any circumstance where a user might want to say
> M-x erase-buffer RET.  Actually the only case I can think of is when the
> user knows what he's doing; and allowing the M-x erase-buffer to work in
> Custom buffers would then still make perfect sense (even if we don't fix
> the lingering overlays).

I never used erase-buffer as a command, but as I can see erase-buffer
is a disabled command with `disable' property put on its symbol.  So as
a command it is already safe not to be executed thoughtlessly.

PS: I also think that it should remove the current buffer completely
with all its overlays.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/