erase-buffer (was: with-output-to-temp-buffer)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: erase-buffer (was: with-output-to-temp-buffer)
Date: 11 May 2004 09:39:22 -0400

BTW, it seems the main problem has to do with a conflict between
erase-buffer when called interactively and erase-buffer when called
from packages.

So my question is: why is erase-buffer a command?
I didn't know it was a command until 5 days ago, it is not bound to any
key, and I can't think of any circumstance where a user might want to say
M-x erase-buffer RET.  Actually the only case I can think of is when the
user knows what he's doing; and allowing the M-x erase-buffer to work in
Custom buffers would then still make perfect sense (even if we don't fix
the lingering overlays).

        Stefan