Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:47:59 +0300

> The bug exists because the range of integers is greater
> and there are bits above the character flags.  So I put the
> change below into casefiddle.c.

I tested your change, and it works.

>     I remember it was agreed some time ago that by default C-x C-e should
>     not display numbers as characters to avoid all related problems.
>
> Who agreed on that?

There was discussion on emacs-pretest-bug three month ago,
where people expressed dissatisfaction with this feature.

> It seems to me that this feature is useful and harmless, and that the
> extra complexity of adding an option to disable it is not worth while.
> We have to fix these bugs anyway, so the option won't save us any work.

This feature is not harmless, because often it causes a window system
to load unnecessary fonts to memory to display some unrelated characters.
And also when it displays strange characters, it confuses users.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/