Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 12 May 2004 17:15:00 +0900

>     Aside: for this to work, docstring writers still have to use the ALLCAPS
>     convention for arguments; I wonder if we could introduce (sometime after
>     21.[45], obviously :) a new (additional) convention to mark arguments in
>     the docstring, so less guesswork is needed.
>
> That sounds like a good idea.  It would be more reliable than assuming
> that upper-case words are argument names.

Why not use the texinfo convention, @var{name} ?  Nice & easy to parse,
unlikely to occur in a docstring, and pretty understandable even if
_not_ translated into propertized text.  It might also make it easier
when updating a docstring and the manual at the same time.

There are probably other @-escapes which could be useful for docstrings too.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen