fill docstring (Re: new *Help* argument highlighting)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: fill docstring (Re: new *Help* argument highlighting)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:28:44 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:15:01PM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>>  > What do you mean?  The first `sentence' should never be
>>  > broken into multiple lines.  So only the meaningful "fix"
>>  > for fill is to make it recognize the emacs-lisp docstrings
>>  > and keep the first line untouched.

> It already does that.

Wow!  I didn't know that.  But, it seems that there's a bug.

When I move point in the following docstring and type M-q:

(defun temp ()
  "This is a fairly long first line of a function documentation string."
  nil)

the result is:

(defun temp ()
  "This is a fairly long first line of a function documentation
  string."  nil)

Another test:

(defun temp ()
  "This is a short documentation string."
  nil)

is filled as:

(defun temp ()
  "This is a short documentation string."  nil)

If the docstring is more than two lines, it works as
expected.  So, perhaps, I should not try to fill a single
line docstring which is anyway a nonsense thing.

But I found another problem.

(defun temp ()
  (interactive)
  "This is a fairly long long long long first line of an embedded Lisp string.
The second line." )

The string part is not filled, perhaps because it is
detected as a docstring?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden