Re: dired alignment

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired alignment
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:46:01 -0400

    Note that the problem is more general than that.  If a group has a very
    long name or a file is very large, alignment is lost in the output of old
    GNU ls whereas it is preserved in the new.
    I.e. the new alignment in GNU ls breaks alignment betwen different
    invocations of `ls' but fixes alignment within a single invocation of `ls'.
    And you can't have it both ways.

That's correct.  What we want in Dired is the old behavior:
align ordinary lines the same way, and treat peculiar lines
specially.