Re: request for review: Doing direct file I/O in Emacs Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: request for review: Doing direct file I/O in Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 05:21:27 -0400

    Both.  Like any shell, eshell provides builtins and it is able to
    invoke subprocesses.  For example, you can type "find-file foo" as a
    command to eshell, and eshell will then invoke the builtin find-file.

When eshell sees a redirect from a builtin, I think it would be most
efficient to produce the output in a buffer and write it with
write-region into the file.

When it is a matter of a subprocess, what could be useful is a feature
for start-process to specify files for additional descriptors.
That would be a completely different feature.