Re: dired alignment

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: dired alignment
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:32:16 -0400

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 05:02:13PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Actually, if it could be handled correctly, I'd rather like the new
>     behavior in dired too (I use direct much more often than I use plain
>     ls) -- it's annoying when columns take up much more room than they
>     actually need.
>
> To do this would require dired to realign all the lines whenever one
> line changes.

I think this could eaily be handled by (1) adding a small amount of
hysteresis (e.g., rounding up widths to a multiple of 4), and (2) just
redrawing everything if the resulting width changed.  The only commonly
changing piece of info is file size, which would be largely accommodated by
(1) -- and even that's only necessary when the changed file happens to be
significantly different in size than all the other files, which on average
probably won't be the case.

> This would be a nuisance in a number of ways.  One file with a long group
> name could make all the file names cause line continuation.

There could be an upper limit.  I find that pretty much all the files in a
given directory usually have the same user/group anyway, so I'm not sure it
makes much difference in practice.

Anyway, I'm just pontificating; I think such a display would be nicer, but of
course any such new feature requires work, and I'm not volunteering to do
it... :-)

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train