Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:03:06 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   And I have studied the cause a little further and found at least one
   reason for the crash -- trying to mark a Lisp_Misc_Free object, most
   likely resulting from freeing a marker which is still present on
   some undo list.

Unless I am misunderstanding, it would seem that freeing a marker
which is still referenced on an undo list is a bug.  Is disabling undo
in Tramp work buffers sufficient to avoid this kind of problem or is
there still a bug in the C code?

   I have installed a fix for this; I don't know if it has any
   bad effects, but at least it solves the crash for me.

Clearly any bad effects will only occur in situations were Emacs would
have crashed earlier without your fix.  An obvious bad effect is the
one you mentioned yourself in the comment to your fix: unpredictable
behavior if the user does `undo'.

Sincerely,

Luc.