Re: Emacs setup assistants

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs setup assistants
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:11:49 -0400

    Indeed.  That's why I didn't think about organizing by variable names,
    like Customize does today.  What we need is some way of creating a
    buffer where options are layed out in a certain order defined by the
    author of the assistant, and are interspersed with short fragments of
    descriptive text.

Maybe we can combine these two ideas, using Texinfo to control
the generation of a kind of Custom buffer.

It needs to limit itself to the existing Texinfo constructs
if it is to be viable.  But it could have special conventions
for what to put in them, which would guide this process.
For instance, an @example containing nothing but one variable name
perhaps followed by a comment could be the direction to insert
the customization info for that variable.