Improving emacs process performance (for free?)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Improving emacs process performance (for free?)
Date: 26 May 2004 23:23:21 +0200

I have previously reported the results of a test that I made to measure
emacs' process output handling speed, which indicated that we could
almost double the performance (at least on GNU/Linux) simply by
increasing the size of the read buffer from 1K to 10K.

I have been running with a buffer size of 10K for months now without
problems (on GNU/Linux), so I think I will install that change in CVS.

Can anybody see any problems making that change for all systems?

The buffer is allocated on the stack (with alloca), so it could be a
problem on systems with limited stack size -- do we still have such
systems?