Re: display word wrapping

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 05:19:05 +0200

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:54:39 -0500, Peter Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

> After getting the latest version of the image libraries from gnuwin32,
> I had to rename the following files:
>
> jpeg62.dll to jpeg.dll
> libtiff3.dll to libtiff.dll
> libXpm-noX4.dll to libxpm.dll
> zlib1.dll to zlib.dll

Well, I prefer to change image.c so it looks also for zlib1.dll and
jpeg62.dll. This way you don't need to have both zlib.dll and zlib1.dll
(which you'll need, because some libraries load zlib1.dll, like
libpng12.dll), and the same for jpeg/jpeg62/jpeg-62.

> I always suspected msvc optimization, but I never tried a
> non-optimized build.  I just started using mingw.

On a non-optimized build I can see every test image I have, except one
called quad-jpeg.tif that (I think) contains an embedded jpeg (it's only
24K, I can send it to you if you want to try with it on gcc builds).
That one causes a crash.  OTOH I can see normal jpeg's just fine.

> I think it would be enough to put a link to gnuwin32 and explain what
> libraries are needed for image support.

We also need to explain what include files must be used, because some
libraries have VC-specific includes (I must use
src\jpeg\6b\jpeg-6b\jconfig.vc as jconfig.h to get libjpeg to work, for
example).

>   liburt (needed by ungif)
>   fdlibm (needed by ungif)
>   libgw32c (needed by ungif)

Which ungif are you using? The one I've found (libungif-4.1.0b1) does
not need/use URT.

> I'd also note in the nt/INSTALL that the dll's are expected to have
> certain names and list those names for each required library.  Then
> just explain to the user that after downloading the image binaries
> they may need to rename some dll's as well as making sure those dll's
> are in the path.

I think is better, as Jason suggests, to try all known names (suitably
sorted to try first the preferred ones).

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u