Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: 29 May 2004 01:44:46 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > I think we have a pretty good understanding of what the problems are
> > in this case: GC problems have been fixed, so it remains to fix that
> > tramp is not reentrant.
>
> I would like to discuss the solution with Michael, but I can think of
> the following solutions:
>
> (a) Make Tramp barf on reentrant calls.

That would probably break some code which does eg. file-exists-p
in a timer hook or some such.  So it is not an option.

> (b) Make Tramp wait on reentrant calls (by implementing a queue or
>     somesuch).

I prefer this (because there are problems with the alternatives).

> (c) Implement concurrency for reentrant calls (by opening more than
>     one connection to the remote end).

How do you solve the problem with having to enter passwords or other
stuff when invoked from a hook ...  and would you start a new thread
for every reentant call, that sounds like a lot of processes?

Also, tramp is slow at opening a connection (but maybe it can skip
some initial checks when it already has another connection to the
same host?).