Re: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC
Date: 30 May 2004 01:15:26 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I think this is a red-herring: doing it your way leads to temporarily having
> non-marked strings whose text-properties might point to deallocated
> cons-cells.

Well, in the tests I performed trying to understand this bug, I
frequently ran into cons cells pointing to de-allocated strings before
I changed the sequence -- but after changing the sequence, I didn't
have a single occurrence of a string pointing to a de-allocated cons
cell.  I'm not saying that it will not happen, but in practice it is
less likely to happen.

> The sweep step simply has to be atomic, just like most of the GC itself
> (afterall, that's why the mark&sweep algorithm is in the category called
> "stop-the-world").

True -- but if you try to debug GC errors, I prefer the code to be as
safe as possible.