Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:31:54 -0500 (CDT)

>From my earlier message:

   With fifteen remote files and global-auto-revert-mode enabled, and the
   default value of auto-revert-interval (five seconds)
   auto-revert-buffers would essentially be running `file-readable-p' on
   remote files constantly, disabling other timers.

I forgot that `auto-revert-handler' also calls
`verify-visited-file-modtime', which takes, on my connection, .43 to
.55 seconds a call for remote files, so with nearly one second for
checking each remote file, under ideal conditions (for my connection),
things seem hopeless.  If any remote file actually needs to be
reverted, trouble can ensue.

Sincerely,

Luc.