Re: display word wrapping

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:55:53 +0200

> Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:40:41 +0200
> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>
> I suppose the optimizer's assuming the variable doesn't need to be
> really volatile, because it is a stack var whose address is not
> taken.

It isn't allowed to assume that.  AFAIK, unlike the `register'
qualifier, `volatile' is not an advisory one, it's mandatory.

But as Andreas points out, the declaration itself is incorrect.  If
so, changing it to whatever is right should make a difference.  Here,
try this:

     struct image * volatile img;

Did that work?

> > But such a workaround needs
> > to be more clever than the push/pop pair above, since it needs to
> > update img->load_failed_p AFTER restoring img, not before it.
>
> Yes, I know. I was just testing different local/static situations.

So perhaps we should just do it now.